Night 6 was pretty uneventful. Collins fussed a little more than the nights just before, but still fell asleep pretty easily and stayed asleep. I think part of the problem was a slightly earlier bed time. We're still practicing being dedicated to the schedule. We started the routine earlier and got all off track! haha
Last night was Night 7, the first night to move into the hallway. It took him probably 10-15 minutes of fussing, squirming, etc. to lie down and get quiet. Once I tried to peep at him because I thought he was asleep, but I saw his little fingers going, playing with Sugarplum. So I hit the floor again before he could catch me!
About this Sugarplum character. I don't think I've mentioned her before. We tried to make a Lion his lovey, but it just didn't take. I don't blame him...it was kind of obnoxious. So on Night 1 Jake suggested Sugarplum. I didn't think it would work and was prepared to go out and buy the softest lovey on the market. One look at 'Plum' and Collins giggled and smiled the hugest smile!
Jake bought Plum for me when we were dating, and I think still in high school. We were in Books A Million and I thought she was cute. We got out to the truck and he had somehow bought her without me knowing. It was sweet, but now I realize just how sweet! Plum to the rescue!!
Anyway, back to last night. Collins woke up at 10 ish, so I went back to the hallway. I thought I was going to have to change him or something. It's times like that when I doubt myself. I had picked him up (just over the bed), calmed him (he was totally fine, but wet...with a night time diaper on), put him down, and he cried about 15 minutes. Maybe longer, I don't know. But that's when I start wondering: Should I change him? Are his teeth hurting? Maybe he needs Tylenol. Did he have a bad dream?
With Jake's clarity, I just let it go and waited it out. It worked.
Collins was talking at 5am, but I remembered reading in the book about "early risers" (children who wake up prior to 6am). Kim suggests not going in until 6, or if you do, trying to get them to sleep until 6. If it doesn't work, you leave the room for two minutes, then come back in like nothing ever happened and do your dramatic good morning routine. It gives the message, "I'm getting you because it's morning, not because you were crying." I guess that sounds harsh, but so far I love everything this woman says/does/makes happen! I didn't have to go in there, we just let him 'talk it out.' He's still asleep now and it's 6:30am.
Promise to quit giving so many detailed updates about sleep after this training period :) After two more nights of the being in the hallway, I'm supposed to just leave the room immediately and let him go to sleep. So far, I am so proud of my Collins!
No comments:
Post a Comment