Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I Got a Goal

You may or may not remember me whining a few months ago about not having a goal. I wrote about it on my birthday post. I am now proud to announce that since writing that post, I have started exercising. This is big for me!

I was a cheerleader in high school. At the time, I didn't even realize I worked out 3-4 times a week, for several hours at a time. I thought I needed to work out in addition to cheering and practicing. What in the world was I thinking?

Basically, I haven't exercised since I graduated high school. A couple of times a year, each of my roommates and I would come up with a new exercise regimen that we were dedicated to. For about two weeks. But studying and class always got in the way. That, and going out to eat at Ruby Tuesdays or Sonic was more appealing. We deserved it, ya know.

After starting work at UA, Jake and I joined the Rec Center. Then we got tired of the hassle of going home, changing, driving back to campus together, then had to get supper ready, etc. So we dropped. Then in 2009ish we decided to join Northridge Fitness Center, which is closer to our house. That worked great because I loved the classes and Jake liked the treadmill, weights, etc. Except we made the same mistake of going home first in the evenings most of the time, so going back to the gym eventually got troublesome. We kept paying our monthly dues and I even went to yoga and walked on the treadmill for a good part of my pregnancy. But then Collins was born and I was not at all under the delusion that I could leave and go to the gym anymore. There was no time or energy.

A few times before and after Collins was born Jake and I both strolled or walked alone around our neighborhood. That made sense since it was free and convenient. But it is so stinkin' hot here. Except in the winter when it is so stinkin' cold. Plus, the fact that the neighborhood could use a few more street lights did not make walking around by myself (and my imagination) any more enticing. 

Obviously, exercise has always been a goal of mine. I have always felt like I should have an exercise routine. It just wasn't a priority.

I remember precisely when I decided to try again. I was in my office and called one of my new mom friends/co-workers to ask a work related question. We started chatting and she told me she had started walking around campus during her lunch break. I asked, "What do you do about sweating?" thinking surely she had some sort of two hour lunch break worked out and that I could never ask for that, giving me yet another excuse. She said, "I sweat really bad and then wipe down with baby wipes when I get back to the office." Hmm.

No more excuses. I joined the Rec Center (again) and started going to the lunch hour group classes with a couple of my co-workers (or alone sometimes). I've been going since May. I waited until now to blog about it because I don't exactly have a good track record of sticking to an exercise plan, as you may have noticed! Three times a week is my goal, and it's pretty easy to meet that. I like to think I might work up to four or five days, but really I need at least one day for errands and another for an actual lunch. Amy and I really enjoy the Indian buffet!

I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel. I always heard people say that exercising improved their energy level, but I was certain that was just a line. Surely it didn't really affect them aside from making them feel accomplished. But I can tell a HUGE difference now when playing with Collins! That has been one of the perks. Another perk is that now it's off my to-do list. Especially since I go in the middle of the day, it does gives me a sense of accomplishment without interfering with my family time. It's a stress reliever. And I can see slight changes in my body. Maybe a little stronger. Maybe a little more toned. Nothing anyone else would notice, but that's okay. It's not like I'm dieting or anything...I mean, I just admitted I frequent the Indian restaurant where there's an all you can eat buffet! Plus, I like chocolate.

In conclusion, I have achieved my personal goal of the decade: exercise regularly. Maybe I'll stick to it now that it's in print! I guess this means I can relax until I turn 40 and need another goal ;)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go!!!! I have the paperwork to join the Rec..have had it all summer..but haven't joined yet. Oh well! I"m so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete